‘Nellie R. Stevens’ is a hybrid between I. aquifolium and I. cornuta. It typically grows as a large broadleaf evergreen shrub with dense, conical form to 15-25’ tall and 8-12’ wide. It also can be trained to grow as a small tree. Oblong, glossy, dark green leaves (to 4” long) have spiny margins (typically 2-3 spines per side). Small greenish-white flowers appear in spring (April), but are generally inconspicuous. Flowers give way to often abundant amounts of berry-like bright red fruits (to 1/3” diameter) which ripen in fall and persist into winter.
Connect With CY Garden Club
Recent Blog Posts
- Propagation Notes–Planting Plugs or Seeds March 21, 2019
- Cooper-Young Garden Contest March 20, 2019
- A shout-out to our Signature Sponsor-Palladio Garden March 18, 2019
- 10 Reasons to Create an Urban Garden March 14, 2019
- “Gardeners of the Week” March 13, 2019