Trowel and Error
Trowel and Error
The McSchuler garden is a novice one with a lot of trial and error learning. I enjoy happy mistakes and glorious successes. This year, I have decided to try my hand at more veggies and edible varieties rather than only flowers. We will see how that goes! My husband and I recently renovated the garage and created a blissful patio. Needless to say, the backyard has it all for me and I am happy to finally share it with you.
Homeowners: Anna + Ryan McSchuler Address: Nelson Avenue
Circa: 1922 Garden Age: 5 years
- Trees: Crepe Myrtles
- Shrubs: Holly, Nandina, Forsythia, Rose of Sharon (Althea), Carolina Laurel Cherry
- Vines: 5 Leaf Akebia ( I did not plant this and am currently trying to eradicate, bc it is invasive.)
- Perennials: Hostas, ferns, daffodils, creeping phlox, four o’clocks, cleome, ajuga, mint, cosmos, arugula, citronella, Purple Heart, and Irises, to name a few.
- Annuals: tomatoes, dill, cilantro, squash, pansies, desert flame, lantana
Favorite Garden Tip: If you’re bored, pull weeds. If you’re anxious, pull weeds. If you’re happy, pull weeds.
Black Bean and Corn Salad w/ Feta
- 2 cans black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 1/2 cups corn kernels fresh, frozen or canned, try to avoid sweet variety
- 1/4 cup red onion minced
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 1 avocado peeled, pit removed and diced
- 1 jalapeno ribs and seeds removed, then minced
- 1/3 cup cilantro leaves chopped
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 cup feta cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
Place the black beans, corn, red onion, red bell pepper, avocado, feta and jalapeno in a large bowl.
In a small bowl, whisk together the cilantro, olive oil, lime juice, honey, chili powder, cumin and salt and pepper.
Pour the dressing over the beans and vegetables and toss gently to coat. Serve.
Please LIKE, SHARE and FOLLOW us on Social Media