ART + NATURE = HARMONY
ART + NATURE = HARMONY
See the garden and Jayebird Studio, as well as the “catico” built for Hedy Lamar, rescued from Lamar Ave. Enjoy the glassed-in back porch with vintage colored glass. The back yard is becoming a New Orleans-style courtyard. See the bright red bottle tree with vintage soda bottles and black iron fountain from my parents’ antique store in Arkansas. Also featured is the chicken coop and an arbor that pops against a spirit blue fence along with multiple container gardens throughout the yard. There are found objects everywhere!
- Homeowners: Mollie Riggs + Jolie Love
- Address: Elzey Street Circa: 1920
Garden Philosophy: Art is a Harmony Parallel to Nature ~ Cezanne
Favorite Garden Tip : Add art pieces to your garden just like you add art to your home.
Mollie Riggs, artist, specializes in Fine Art, Faux Finishes, Murals, and Restoration.
- Trees: Crepe Myrtle, Meyer Lemon, Parasol, Black Walnut, Banana Trees
- Shrubs: Mature Holly Bushes trimmed like topiary, Hydrangeas, Gardenia, Rose, Aucuba, Nandina
- Vines:Clematis, Red Cypress, Honeysuckle, Jasmine
- Perennials: Astilbe, Jerusalem Artichokes, Blanket Flowers, Cone Flower, Dianthus, Speedwell, Tickseed, Lantana, Mexican Petunia, Tiger Lilies, Columbine, Verbena, Primrose, Arrows Rush, Iris, Daffodil, Red Spider Lily, Plantain Lily, Blue Angel Hosta, Alocasia, Autumn Fern, Christmas Fern, Stone Crop Sedum, Goldmoss Sedum, Creeping Jenny, Ajuga, WIld Begonia, Yucca, Cast Iron Plant, Liverwort, Spiderwort, Linton Rose, Yellow Archangels
- Herbs: Basil, Oregano, Dill, Curry, Thyme, Lemon Balm, Peppermint, Spearmint, Rosemary, Fish Mint, Lavender, Bee Balm
- Inside to Outside Plants: Agave, Angel Trumpet, Bird of Paradise, Air Plants, Colocasia, Schefflera, Philodendron
Greek Lemon Herb Cookies
submitted by Caroline Snider [print-me target=”.printrecipe” title=”Print Recipe”] INGREDIENTS:
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
- 1 1/4 cup sugar, divided
- 2 egg yolks
- 4 tsp. grated lemon peel, divided
- 1/2 tsp. dried rosemary, crushed
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Combine flour, baking soda and salt in a bowl.
- Beat butter and 1 cup sugar in large bowl w/electric mixer until light and fluffy.
- Beat in egg yolks, 3 tsp. lemon peel, and rosemary.
- Gradually add flour mixture. Beat at low speed until well blended.
- Combine remaining 1/4 cup sugar and 1 tsp. lemon peel in shallow bowl.
- Roll tablespoons of dough into 1 inch balls.
- Roll balls in sugar and lemon peel.
- Place balls on un-greased cookie sheet 2 inches apart.
- With bottom of glass, press cookie ball flat.
- Bake 10-12 minutes or until edges are golden brown. Place on wire rack, cool completely.
- Store tightly covered or freeze.
- Makes 4 1/2 dozen cookies.
Please LIKE, SHARE and FOLLOW us on Social Media