This lawn-less front and back garden maximizes outdoor living with raised bed seating, great for entertaining and keeping pets out of the plants. Crushed limestone creates a maintanence free walking surface softened by evergreen groundcovers. Crowd favorites include: screened porch with outdoor tub/shower, painted floors, auger fountain, recycled art, and multiple garden rooms. 100+ different plant varieties. Construction by Jim McCown.
- Homeowners: Bill Schosser + Kim Halyak (founder-garden walk)
- Address: Blythe Street
- Circa: 1902, two shotguns combined in 1935
- Garden Age: Front 8yrs, Back 4yrs.
- Trees: Tulip Poplar, Little Gem Southern Magnolia, Fig, Weeping Yaupon
- Shrubs: Sweetspire, Lorapetalum, Gardenia, Katrina Rose, Albertine Rose, Viburnum, Boxwood, Native Azalea, Hydrangeas,
- Vines: clematis, native honeysuckle, Japanese honeysuckle, Madison jasmine,
- Perennials: salvias, lilies, alliums, coneflowers, sedums, lavender, euphorbia, Christmas Holly, Lenten Roses, Peonies, Autumn Ferns, Solomon Seal, Cast Iron, liriope,
Garden Philosophy Almost everything in my garden is recycled. The gridded screen porch panels are grocery store shelves; the augers came from Mississippi; the fountain base is my old attic fan box; rocks and boulders came from camping trips; and the Ellen’s Soul Food Sign came from the side of the road.
Favorite Garden Tip Painting your fence a dark color showcases the plants in front, making them “POP”.
Ash + Carley’s Basil Hero Sandwich
[print-me target=”.printrecipe” title=”Print Recipe”] INGREDIENTS:
- 1 loaf French Bread unsliced (save bag)
- 1/2 cup Pesto
- sliced olives of your choice
- 6-8 slices of provolone cheese
- 1 whole tomato sliced into rounds
- romaine lettuce leaves or substitute spinach
- (optional), slices of favorite summer meat
- Cut loaf in half lengthwise.
- Hollow out each half to make a channel
- Brush both channels with Pesto (use bought or freshly made)
- Add sliced olives into both channels (your choice of kind)
- Layer half with tomatoes, then provolone cheese, lettuce
- Optional – Layer sandwich meat slices, onion slices, artichoke hearts
- Put top on, press down, and slide into bag
- Store in fridge to chill
- Remove from fridge, slice French loaf into 8 diagonal slices.
- Enjoy! Perfect with fruit salad and a cool drink.
Please LIKE, SHARE and FOLLOW us on Social Media